Botanical name: Salix caprea
Common names: Goat willow, Pussy willow, great sallow, European pussy willow, French pussy willow
- Leaves: 3-12cm long and 2-8 cm wide; broader than most other willows
- Flowers: soft and silky; silvery 3-7cm catkins produced in early spring before new leaves
- Male and female catkins on different plants. Male catkins mature yellow at pollen release and female catkins mature pale green.
- Great for wildlife.
- Grows in wet/damp environments.
- Both tannin and salicin (analgesic and antipyretic properties) can be extracted from the bark.
- Colour: Orange-Black. Salix alba gives an orange colour when extracted from leaves and bark. Need to be confirmed with goat willow.
- Parts used/Foraging Season: Leaves, stems, bark (black colour). All year
Opposite entrance to the cottage